- 6 veal shanks (4 1/2 to 5 lb. total), fat trimmed, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup each chopped carrot, leeks, fennel, and peeled celery root
- 1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme leaves
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh-ground pepper
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon each grated orange peel and lemon peel
- 4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 pound romano beans, rinsed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Roasted grapes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- calories 525
- caloriesfromfat 31 %
- protein 54 g
- fat 31 g
- satfat 4.3 g
- carbohydrate 39 g
- fiber 5.6 g
- sodium 2421 mg
- cholesterol 177 mg
How to Make It
Sprinkle shanks with kosher salt. Pour olive oil into a 6- to 8-quart ovenproof pan or a 13- by 16-inch roasting pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add shanks in a single layer (work in batches if necessary). Cook, turning until richly browned on two sides, 10 to 12 minutes total; transfer to a plate.
Add wine and vinegar and bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring to loosen browned bits, 5 to 8 minutes. Add vegetables, ginger, 3 tablespoons thyme, bay leaves, pepper, tomato paste, garlic, orange and lemon peels, broth, and shanks. Cover pan (with foil if using a roasting pan).
Bake in a 325° oven until meat is very tender when pierced, 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 quarts water to a boil. Add beans; cook until crisp-tender to bite, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, place in ice water until cool, and drain again.
With tongs, transfer shanks to a plate; cover with foil. Remove bay leaves and skim fat from pan. Working in batches, purée liquid and vegetables in a blender.
Melt butter in a 10- to 12-inch pan over medium-high heat. Add beans, grapes, sage, and remaining thyme; stir until hot, 3 minutes. Place each shank in a bowl; top with sauce and bean mixture.