This is delicious! It does have a lot of sugar, but it is a great way to serve tofu to someone who may be wary.
Braised Tofu in Caramel Sauce (Tau Hu Kho)
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 790mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (including tops)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cut tofu into 2- by 3-inch, 1/2-inch-thick slices and pat dry.
- 2. Place sugar in a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium-high heat; shake pan often until sugar is melted and amber colored, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup hot water (mixture will bubble vigorously) and stir over medium heat until caramelized sugar is dissolved.
- 3. Stir in soy sauce, shallots, ginger, and garlic; stir often over high heat until boiling. Lay tofu pieces in a single layer in sauce. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes. With a wide spatula, turn pieces over; simmer until hot and coated with sauce, 3 to 4 minutes longer.
- 4. Transfer tofu and sauce to a serving dish and sprinkle with green onions and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes