This dish is delicious! My husband loved it. The short ribs do take a while to cook but since you let them simmer the majority of the time it is a very easy recipe. I did change a few things though. I used chicken broth instead of water, added a bay leaf to the short ribs as they were simmering, and also increased the carrots to one cup.
Braised Short Ribs with Egg Noodles
The key to getting incredibly rich flavor in a sauce made from water is to create tasty browned bits on the bottom of the pan. To ensure you create those bits, use a stainless steel skillet—not a nonstick pan.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 488
- Fat: 18.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Carbohydrate: 56.3g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 684mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1 1/2 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed (4 ribs)
- 3 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 quarts water
- 8 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Add 2 1/2 cups water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove beef from pan; cover and keep warm. Remove cooking liquid from pan; reserve cooking liquid.
- 2. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrot and onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Stir in reserved cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Bring 3 quarts water and remaining 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles; cook 5 minutes or until al dente. Drain; serve noodles with ribs and sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine