Holy Cow! I cannot believe how good this turned out for me. I followed the recipe almost exactly. I did half it because it's just my boyfriend and myself. But, after searing the beef in a pan i deglazed with some dry red wine. Then, instead of using to simmer the beef I used beef stock. I simmered that for half the time then i sauteed the veggies and added them into the beef for the remaining time. It came out perfect, veggies were tender, the meat was tender and flavorful. I will definitely be making this again.
Braised Short Ribs with Egg Noodles
The key to getting incredibly rich flavor in a sauce made from water is to create tasty browned bits on the bottom of the pan. To ensure you create those bits, use a stainless steel skillet—not a nonstick pan.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 488
- Fat: 18.2g
- Saturated fat: 5.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 25.2g
- Carbohydrate: 56.3g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Iron: 4.4mg
- Sodium: 684mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1 1/2 pounds beef short ribs, trimmed (4 ribs)
- 3 3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot (about 1 large)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 quarts water
- 8 ounces uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1. Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; dredge in flour. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, turning occasionally. Add 2 1/2 cups water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour and 45 minutes or until fork-tender. Remove beef from pan; cover and keep warm. Remove cooking liquid from pan; reserve cooking liquid.
- 2. Heat skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add carrot and onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add tomato paste, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring frequently. Stir in reserved cooking liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 3. Bring 3 quarts water and remaining 1 tablespoon salt to a boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles; cook 5 minutes or until al dente. Drain; serve noodles with ribs and sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note