Simple and delicious recipe! I use it as my base, skip the lemon garnish and add more root vegetables and red wine while it's simmering down.
Braised Short Ribs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Garnishes: lemon slices, celery leaves
- Combine flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and ground peppers; dredge ribs in flour mixture, and set aside.
- Brown half of ribs in hot oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Remove ribs, reserving drippings in skillet. Repeat procedure with remaining ribs.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, diced onion, and next 3 ingredients to skillet; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes and next 6 ingredients. Add ribs, cover, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes or until ribs are tender. Skim fat from mixture, and garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes