- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 1/2 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- Garnishes: lemon slices, celery leaves
How to Make It
Combine flour, 2 teaspoons salt, and ground peppers; dredge ribs in flour mixture, and set aside.
Brown half of ribs in hot oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Remove ribs, reserving drippings in skillet. Repeat procedure with remaining ribs.
Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, diced onion, and next 3 ingredients to skillet; sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in crushed tomatoes and next 6 ingredients. Add ribs, cover, and simmer 1 hour and 30 minutes or until ribs are tender. Skim fat from mixture, and garnish, if desired.