I have made this recipe before (just "okay"), but I just tried again last night (12/2012) since majority of the ingredients are in season, and loved the dish the second go-around! This time, I had the fresh herbs on hand (sage & thyme from another recipe which I think is integral); used 1 dried large bay leaf, and only used 5 bone-in (but skinless chicken thighs). For the veggies I used the root veggies we like most - 1 medium parsnip, 1 medium sweet potato, and 1 small celery root - yum! Ensure you chop to ~1 in squares to get the veggies nice and tender at the end of the simmer time. I didn't rush this recipe and wasn't disappointed. Very hearty, comforting and really simple to make. It does take ~40 minutes start to finish, but results are worth it. This one is a keeper exactly as prepared this time and one to make again & again! Enjoy!
Braised Root Vegetables and Chicken Thighs
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Winter is the peak season for rutabagas, turnips, and parsnips. Their strong flavors mellow with cooking.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 thighs and 1 1/4 cups vegetable mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 355
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 30.2g
- Carbohydrate: 34g
- Fiber: 7.5g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 522mg
- Calcium: 114mg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled rutabaga
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled turnip (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices parsnip
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 5 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken from pan, and keep warm.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add rutabaga, turnip, squash, parsnip, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients; nestle chicken into vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is done. Uncover and simmer 3 minutes or until thick. Remove bay leaf.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes