- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup red currant jelly
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 medium-size red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- Garnish: chopped cooked bacon
How to Make It
Sauté onion and apple in hot bacon drippings in a skillet over medium-low heat 5 minutes or until onion is tender.
Add 1 cup water, wine, if desired, and next 7 ingredients; bring to a boil. Add cabbage, and tightly cover.
Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cabbage and apple are tender. Return skillet to stove top.
Stir together cornstarch and 1 teaspoon water; add to cabbage mixture, and bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until thickened. Garnish, if desired.