Braised Red Cabbage
More From Southern Living
- 1 medium-size red cabbage (about 2 1/2 pounds), shredded
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup dry red wine*
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until liquid evaporates and cabbage is tender.
- Place cabbage mixture on serving dish; sprinkle evenly with toasted walnuts.
- *1/4 cup apple juice may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note