Never had pheasant before and was a little out of my element. Followed recipe exactly. Meat was kind of tough which might be my fault. I like the suggestions about doing in crockpot and adding sage.
Braised Pheasant in Mixed Peppercorn Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 362
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 52.1g
- Carbohydrate: 9.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 139mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 368mg
- Calcium: 220mg
- 1 (3 1/4-pound) pheasant, skinned and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons mixed green, red, and white peppercorns, crushed
- Sprinkle pheasant with salt and pepper. Melt butter and oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add pheasant; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Add broth and wine; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 35 minutes. Remove pheasant from pan. Keep warm.
- Combine milk and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Bring broth mixture to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 6 minutes). Add onion; cook 3 minutes. Add milk mixture and crushed peppercorns. Simmer 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring frequently.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes