I made this for my family they loved it even the ones under 9 years old. It's a good comfort food for a Rainy Sunday dinner. A lot of flavor
Braised Oxtails and Vegetables
More From Southern Living
- 4 pounds oxtails, cut at joints
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14-oz.) can fat-free beef broth
- 1 (15-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 4 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Hot cooked grits
- Chopped fresh thyme (optional)
- 1. Rinse oxtails, and pat dry. Remove and discard silver skin, if necessary. Sprinkle oxtails with salt and pepper.
- 2. Cook oxtails in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 10 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer oxtails to a 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 3. Add broth and next 5 ingredients to slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 6 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over hot cooked grits. Sprinkle with chopped fresh thyme, if desired.
- Braised Short Ribs and Vegetables: Substitute 4 lb. beef short ribs, trimmed and cut in half, for oxtails. Proceed with recipe as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes