More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 19g
- Fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Sodium: 890mg
- 1 oxtail (about 2 1/2 lb.), cut at joints
- 1/4 cup rice wine (Shaoxing or sake)
- 4 star anise
- 8 thin slices (each about the size of a quarter) fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (or 2 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce plus 1/2 teaspoon dark molasses)
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 pound daikon, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, bring 1 1/2 quarts water to a boil. Meanwhile, trim surface fat from oxtail. Rinse meat and add to pan. When boil resumes, skim off foam; add wine, anise, ginger, and garlic. Cover and simmer 1 hour.
- 2. Add regular soy, dark soy, and sugar; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Add daikon; cover and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced, 30 to 45 minutes.
- 3. With a slotted spoon, put meat and daikon in a bowl; keep warm. Discard the fat from pan juices. Boil juices, uncovered, over high heat until reduced to about 3/4 cup, 10 to 15 minutes, then pour into bowl. Add cilantro; mix. Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note