Braised Kale over Baked Cheese Grits
More From Oxmoor House
Other: 10 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 363
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 10.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Protein: 15.9g
- Carbohydrate: 53.2g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 116mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 654mg
- Calcium: 332mg
- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked stone-ground yellow grits
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (1-pound) bag prewashed kale (such as Glory), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion (1 small)
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 teaspoons crumbled goat cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slowly stir in grits and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Remove grits from heat. Combine milk and eggs in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; stir into grits with whisk. Stir in cheese.
- 4. Rub a 2-quart casserole with cut sides of halved garlic clove; pour grits into prepared dish. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving (mixture will be dense and puddinglike when set).
- 5. While grits bake, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add kale; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove kale from pan; drain and rinse under cold water.
- 6. Add olive oil, onion, chopped garlic, and salt to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until onion is translucent. Return kale to pan, and sauté 10 minutes or until greens are tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and balsamic vinegar. Serve greens over grits; sprinkle with goat cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This