- 2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked stone-ground yellow grits
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 2 quarts water
- 1 (1-pound) bag prewashed kale (such as Glory), coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced onion (1 small)
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 teaspoons crumbled goat cheese
- calories 363
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- fat 10.7 g
- satfat 3.7 g
- protein 15.9 g
- carbohydrate 53.2 g
- fiber 3.4 g
- cholesterol 116 mg
- iron 3.3 mg
- sodium 654 mg
- calcium 332 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 375°.
Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Slowly stir in grits and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove grits from heat. Combine milk and eggs in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk; stir into grits with whisk. Stir in cheese.
Rub a 2-quart casserole with cut sides of halved garlic clove; pour grits into prepared dish. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving (mixture will be dense and puddinglike when set).
While grits bake, bring 2 quarts water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add kale; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove kale from pan; drain and rinse under cold water.
Add olive oil, onion, chopped garlic, and salt to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until onion is translucent. Return kale to pan, and sauté 10 minutes or until greens are tender. Stir in remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and balsamic vinegar. Serve greens over grits; sprinkle with goat cheese.