The flavors of this dish were too strong for me.
Braised Fennel with Orange
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 85
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 2.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 14.8g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 353mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 4 large fennel bulbs, each cut into 8 wedges (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add fennel wedges. Cook 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fennel wedges and sugar, and sauté 3 minutes. Add chicken broth, orange rind, orange juice, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for 25 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds.
- Note: Leave enough of the root end intact so the fennel wedges hold together.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables