More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 61
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 2.7g
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Carbohydrate: 3.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Cholesterol: 3.2mg
- 8 heads fennel (3 in. wide), rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1. Trim off feathery fennel greens and finely chop enough to make 1/4 cup; reserve for garnish. Save remaining greens for other uses. Trim off and discard tough stems, root ends, and any bruised spots from fennel heads. Cut fennel lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 2. In a 6- to 8-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine oil and onion. Stir often until onion is limp, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 3. Add sliced fennel and wine. Cover and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fennel is just tender when pierced, about 25 minutes.
- 4. Arrange fennel slices neatly in a shallow 3- to 3 1/2-quart casserole and add liquid. Cover tightly with foil.
- 5. Bake in a 375° oven until fennel is very tender when pierced, 1 hour and 10 minutes (1 hour in a convection oven).
- 6. Uncover fennel, sprinkle with cheese, and, if desired, broil about 4 inches from heat until slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup chopped green fennel tops. Season to taste with salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables