- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger plus 1/3 cup finely slivered fresh ginger matchsticks
- 1 pound eggplant (Chinese, Japanese, regular globe, or Indian), stemmed
- 1/4 pound slender broccolini, cut in half crosswise
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint leaves
- calories 168
- caloriesfromfat 56 %
- protein 3.2 g
- fat 11 g
- satfat 1 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 3.6 g
- sodium 387 mg
- cholesterol 2.5 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, blend brown sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil, chile flakes, broth, and minced ginger; set sauce aside.
Cut slender Asian eggplant into 1- by 2-in. slices or regular globe into 1 1/2-in. chunks; or cut small, egg-shaped Indian eggplant in half lengthwise. Set aside.
Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a 12-in. wok or frying pan over high heat. Add broccolini; cook, covered, until stems are just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl of ice water; when cool, drain and set aside.
Drain and dry wok, add canola oil, and heat over high heat. Add slivered ginger; cook, stirring, until golden, 2 minutes. Transfer ginger to paper towels. Pour oil into a bowl; return 1 tbsp. oil to wok.
Add half of eggplant to wok over high heat. Cook, turning often, until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining oil to wok with remaining eggplant and the shallots. Cook as before.
Return eggplant to wok with sauce. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is soft when pressed, 8 to 15 minutes.
Lay broccolini on eggplant, cover, and heat 2 minutes. If needed, cook, uncovered, over high heat until most of liquid evaporates, 1 minute. Stir in cilantro and mint and top with fried ginger.