This was good - but probably would not make again - as so many better options exist - and this also took a bit of time. Made with boneless chicken breasts, and used less chicken than recipe - so had alot of sauce to pour over cut-up chicken and brown rice.
Braised Chile Chicken
Photo: Leo Gong; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 644
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 45g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 1225mg
- Cholesterol: 173mg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1 chicken (4 to 5 lbs.), cut into 6 pieces, wings and back discarded; or 2 bone-in breast halves, plus 2 bone-in thighs and 2 bone-in drumsticks
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 can (4 oz.) whole green chiles, cut into strips
- 1 fresh jalapeño chile, minced
- 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a pot just large enough to accommodate chicken in a single layer. Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl, whisk together cornmeal, chile powders, and salt. Dredge chicken in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat.
- 2. Add half the chicken pieces to pot and cook, turning once, until well browned on all sides and skin is very crisp, about 8 minutes; remove and set aside. Brown remaining chicken the same way.
- 3. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, canned chiles, half the jalapeño, and the chipotle chile to pot. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and arrange chicken pieces, skin side up, on top of sauce, being careful not to let sauce completely cover crisp skin. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes. Remove chicken from sauce and transfer to a platter. Season with salt and pepper and add remaining jalapeño to taste. Spoon sauce around chicken and garnish with cilantro.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This