Braised Chicken with Lemons
The fruit on Margaret Anderson's lemon tree inspired her to come up with this flavorful braised chicken dish.
Yield: Makes 3 or 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 427
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Sodium: 420mg
- Cholesterol: 132mg
- 6 chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 lb. total, bone in and skin on)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/4 cups chopped shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 lemons (about 12 oz. total), rinsed, halved lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 1. Rinse chicken and pat dry; trim and discard pockets of fat. In a bowl, mix vinegar, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add thighs; turn to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 2. Set a 5- to 6-quart ovenproof pan with lid over medium-high heat. Lift chicken thighs from marinade (reserve marinade) and arrange in a single layer in pan. Turn as necessary to brown on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a rimmed plate and lower heat under pan. Add shallots and garlic to pan and stir frequently until shallots are limp, about 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan and add marinade, lemons, vermouth, and herbes de Provence.
- 3. Cover pan. Transfer to a 350° regular or convection oven and bake until chicken is very tender when pierced, 30 to 45 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spoon into bowls to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes