Braised Chicken with Creamy Wine Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 275
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 35.6g
- Carbohydrate: 14.4g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 386mg
- Calcium: 111mg
- 1/2 pound fresh pearl onions, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons margarine, divided
- 1 cup slivered onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 (8-ounce) chicken breast halves, skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- Drop pearl onions into boiling water in a Dutch oven, and cook 3 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water, and peel. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of margarine in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add slivered onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 5 minutes. Place the onion mixture in a bowl; set aside.
- Add chicken pieces to Dutch oven; cook 4 minutes, turning chicken pieces once. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes. Combine flour, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Return onion mixture to pan; add wine and next 4 ingredients, stirring gently. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan, and arrange on a serving platter; set aside, and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
- Bring sauce to a boil; cook 7 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to about 3 cups, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; gradually stir in milk, and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 2 teaspoons margarine in a skillet over medium heat, and add pearl onions. Sauté 4 minutes or until tender; remove from skillet. Add mushrooms, and sauté 3 minutes. Arrange the pearl onions and the mushrooms around chicken on serving platter, and spoon the sauce over chicken and vegetables.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes