- 1/2 pound fresh pearl onions, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons margarine, divided
- 1 cup slivered onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 (8-ounce) chicken breast halves, skinned
- 2 chicken drumsticks (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 2 chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), skinned
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup Chardonnay or other dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup evaporated skimmed milk
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- calories 275
- caloriesfromfat 26 %
- fat 8 g
- satfat 1.9 g
- monofat 2.9 g
- polyfat 2.1 g
- protein 35.6 g
- carbohydrate 14.4 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- cholesterol 98 mg
- iron 2.6 mg
- sodium 386 mg
- calcium 111 mg
How to Make It
Drop pearl onions into boiling water in a Dutch oven, and cook 3 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water, and peel. Set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon of margarine in Dutch oven over medium heat. Add slivered onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 5 minutes. Place the onion mixture in a bowl; set aside.
Add chicken pieces to Dutch oven; cook 4 minutes, turning chicken pieces once. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes. Combine flour, salt, and pepper; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Return onion mixture to pan; add wine and next 4 ingredients, stirring gently. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan, and arrange on a serving platter; set aside, and keep warm. Discard bay leaf.
Bring sauce to a boil; cook 7 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to about 3 cups, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; gradually stir in milk, and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cover and set aside.
Melt the remaining 2 teaspoons margarine in a skillet over medium heat, and add pearl onions. Sauté 4 minutes or until tender; remove from skillet. Add mushrooms, and sauté 3 minutes. Arrange the pearl onions and the mushrooms around chicken on serving platter, and spoon the sauce over chicken and vegetables.