This was really simple and good, although it's hard to make on a work night since it bakes for 1:15 minutes, plus prep and browning time. I added grilling blend and extra seasoning to the chicken, and used spicy roasted tomatoes. I might try rotel or jalapeno tomatoes next time. I served it with seasoned rice. My first experience with kale! I wonder if pepper vinegar would work instead of the red wine vinegar, giving it an extra kick?
Braised Chicken with Kale
Bake chicken leg quarters in a broth mixture along with kale and tomatoes for an easy one-dish dinner.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- Calories: 412
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Protein: 45.9g
- Carbohydrate: 22.8g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 161mg
- Iron: 5.4mg
- Sodium: 604mg
- Calcium: 215mg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 4 chicken leg quarters, skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/4 cup)
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package cut prewashed kale
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil. Sprinkle the chicken with black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Place flour in a dish, and dredge chicken. Place 2 leg quarters in pan, and cook for 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with 2 teaspoons oil and remaining 2 leg quarters. Remove from pan.
- 3. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to pan. Add garlic; cook for 20 seconds. Add half of kale; cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining half of kale; cook 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Cover and bake at 325° for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove chicken from pan; stir in vinegar. Serve chicken over kale mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes