A new bright taste for root vegetables. Since parsnips, due to their sugar content cook faster than carrots, add the parsnips after the carrots have been cooking for approximately 7 minutes. Yoghurt sauce is refreshing but could be omitted if you're in a hurry but it does add nutrition. Thanks for this addition to my root vegetable cookery.
Braised Carrots and Parsnips
Prep:15 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes.
Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups veggies)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 10g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 283mg
- Calcium: 142mg
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut in large chunks on the bias
- 8 medium parsnips, peeled, woody core removed and cut in large chunks
- 1 large handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Heat 3 TBSP olive oil in medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring occasionally until soft and glistening (6 minutes). Add paprika, half the coriander, and salt; cook until oil turns deep red (about 1 minute). Add carrots, parsnips, and just enough water to cover (about 3 cups).
- 2. Bring to a simmer and cook until carrots are tender (20 minutes). Remove veggies with slotted spoon; keep cooking liquid until thick and slightly reduced (about 10 minutes more). Season with pepper to taste; return veggies to broth.
- 3. Heat remaining TBSP oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add rest of coriander and toast for a minute. Stir parsley into yogurt; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl; drizzle on flavored coriander oil. Spoon vegetables onto platter with some cooking liquid. Serve with yogurt-coriander sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables