Braised Broccoli Rabe
Chef-owner Tim Brown, of San Francisco's Morty's Delicatessen, pairs this tangy, spicy broccoli rabe with slices of braised pork loin and fresh mozzarella for a luscious sandwich called Aldo's Pork Melt (named after a friend). His inspiration? One of his favorite pasta dishes—orecchiette with pork sausage and broccoli rabe.
More From Sunset
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes, divided
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 bunch (1 lb.) broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 3-in. pieces
- 1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook garlic until lightly browned, 3 minutes. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. each salt and chile flakes and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes more. Add vinegar and broccoli rabe, stirring to coat.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered, until thick stems are fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp. each salt and chile flakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note