Braised Beef Short Ribs with Red Wine Gravy
Community Recipe from
- 6 pound(s) 3 inch long meaty beef short ribs
- Coarse kosher salt
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1/4 cup(s) flour
- 1/2 cup(s) olive oil, divided
- 3 cup(s) chopped onions
- 3 cup(s) 3/4 inch cubed turnips (about 1 lb)
- 2 cup(s) chopped carrots (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cup(s) chopped celery
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 pound(s) sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
- 5 large sage sprigs
- 1/4 cup(s) (lightly packed) thyme sprigs
- 5 bay leaves
- 2 cup(s) dry red wine
- 4 cup(s) chicken stock
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350*.
- Place ribs on a baking sheet, sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over and toss to coat. Heat 1/4 cup of oil in dutch oven and working in batches, cook ribs until browned all over, about 10 minutes per batch. Return to sheet. Wipe out pot.
- Add remaining oil - add onions and next 4 ingredients. Cook until tender and slightly browned, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and next three ingredients. Stir to coat.
- Return ribs to pot, placing on sides to fit in a single layer. Add wine. Simmer until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Add broth. Cover and bring to simmer.
- Transfer pot to oven and braise for 2 hours. Remove from oven and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Carefully transfer ribs to a large bowl, keeping meat attached to bones if possible. Remove herb sprigs. Pass all braising liquid and vegetables through a food mill. Return sauce to the pot and skim off any fat from the surface. Season gravy to taste with salt and pepper. Add a few drops of balsalmic vinegar. Return ribs to sauce. Serve with mashed potatoes.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Randi's Recipes and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Braised Beef Short Ribs with Red Wine Gravy Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes