Braided Coffee Cake
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup lukewarm water ( 105° to 115°)
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Additional melted butter or margarine
- Coffee Cake Glaze
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in lukewarm water; let stand 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly.
- Place 1 cup butter, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl; add boiling water, stirring until butter melts. Add yeast mixture and eggs, stirring until well blended. Stir in enough flour to form a stiff dough. Cover and refrigerate overnight
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 3 equal portions. Divide each portion into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 25- x 10-inch rectangle. On each rectangle, brush half of long side evenly with 3/4 cup melted butter. Combine remaining sugar, brown sugar, chopped pecans, and cinnamon; sprinkle mixture evenly over melted butter.
- Roll each rectangle up jellyroll fashion, beginning at long side; moisten edges with water to seal. Braid ropes, pinching edges to seal. Place each braided loaf in a greased 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan; brush with additional melted butter.
- Let loaves rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove bread from pans immediately; cool on wire racks. Drizzle glaze over tops of warm loaves. Slice and serve warm.
- For swirl coffee cake variation, divide dough into 3 equal portions. Roll each portion into a 25- x 10-inch rectangle; brush with melted butter. Sprinkle cinnamon mixture evenly over each rectangle of dough. Roll up jellyroll fashion, beginning at long side; moisten edges with water to seal.
- Shape each rope into a loose coil in 3 greased 9-inch round cake pans, beginning at outer edge of pan. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and sugar, if desired. Repeat rising procedure 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans; drizzle glaze over coffee cake. Slice and serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note