Yield: Makes a 1 1/2-pound loaf
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 106
- Calories from fat: 45%
- Protein: 2.5g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 12g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 94mg
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1. Process ingredients on dough cycle, according to manufacturer's directions.
- 2. At the end of the cycle, scrape the dough onto a board lightly coated with all-purpose flour. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. If making a 1 1/2-pound loaf, roll each piece to form a rope about 12 inches long. For a 2-pound loaf, roll each piece to form a rope about 14 inches long. Lay ropes parallel about 1 inch apart on a buttered 14- by 17-inch baking sheet. Pinch ropes together at one end, braid loosely, then pinch braid end together.
- 3. Cover loaf lightly with plastic wrap and let stand in a warm place until puffy, about 35 minutes. Remove plastic wrap.
- 4. Beat 1 large egg yolk to blend with 1 tablespoon water. Brush braid with egg mixture.
- 5. Bake braid in a 350° oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool on a rack at least 15 minutes before slicing. Serve hot, warm, or cool.
- To make a 2-pound loaf, use 1/3 cup water, 3 large eggs, 2 large egg yolks, 3/4 cup (3/8 lb.) butter or margarine, 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 package active dry yeast.
- Nutritional analysis per ounce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note