A Brace of Herb-Roasted Chickens
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 368
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Carbohydrate: 2.2g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 263mg
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- 2 chickens (3 1/2 to 4 lb. each)
- 2 tablespoons packaged poultry rub (or make you own; see notes)
- 1 onion (6 oz.), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lemon, ends sliced off, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 parsley sprigs
- 10 ounce fresh chèvre (goat) cheese or 2 packages (5 oz. each) Boursin cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Reserve chicken giblets for other uses. Pull off and discard lumps of fat from chickens. Rinse birds inside and out and pat dry.
- 2. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon poultry rub in each bird's body cavity. Place 1/2 the onion, lemon, and parsley in each chicken. Pin body cavities shut with small metal skewers.
- 3. If using cheese, starting at the neck, gently push your fingers under skin of each breast to loosen skin. Spread 5 ounces cheese under skin of each chicken, pressing to form an even layer over breast.
- 4. Rub skin of each chicken all over with 1/2 the oil and 1/2 the remaining poultry rub. Set chickens, breasts up, at least 2 inches apart on a rack in an 11- by 17-inch roasting pan.
- 5. Roast in a 400° oven until a thermometer inserted through thickest part of thigh to joint registers 175°, about 65 minutes (about 55 minutes in a convection oven).
- 6. Using pot holders to protect your hands, tilt chickens to drain juices into pan. Set chickens on a platter and let rest in a warm place 10 to 15 minutes. Stir pan juices to release browned bits; skim and discard fat, and pour drippings into a small bowl. Carve chicken and serve with juices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This