- 1 pound uncooked farfalle (bow tie pasta)
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle roasted red bell peppers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup (4 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- Thinly sliced fresh basil (optional)
- calories 424
- caloriesfromfat 23 %
- fat 10.7 g
- satfat 5.6 g
- monofat 3.7 g
- polyfat 0.5 g
- protein 17.6 g
- carbohydrate 62.9 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 32 mg
- iron 2.9 mg
- sodium 383 mg
- calcium 222 mg
How to Make It
Cook the pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add bell peppers; cook 2 minutes or until heated through. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in vinegar; cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
Place bell pepper mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Return bell pepper mixture to pan; cook over low heat until warm. Combine half-and-half and tomato paste in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir tomato mixture into bell pepper mixture, stirring with a whisk until well combined. Stir in ground red pepper.
Combine pasta and bell pepper mixture in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup cheese, tossing to coat. Spoon 1 1/3 cups pasta into each of 6 bowls; top each with about 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese. Garnish with basil, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.