Used ingredients-no pecans- but not method to make Whipped Bourbon Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips. Peeled and cubed the veg then boiled til tender. Added to food processor & whipped in batches with all other ingredients. Bourbon/orange/maple syrup/ cardamom combo subtle & not overly sweet.
Bourbon Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips
Notes: Garnet and Jewel sweet potatoes have moist, bright orange flesh and skin ranging from light copper to dark red; they are often labeled yams in grocery stores. Look for small to medium-size parsnips; the larger ones can have a woody core.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 348
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 68g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Sodium: 69mg
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- 1 3/4 pounds Garnet or Jewel sweet potatoes (see notes)
- 1 3/4 pounds parsnips (see notes)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon shredded orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1. Peel sweet potatoes and parsnips; cut into sticks about 1/2 inch by 3 to 4 inches. Lightly coat a 12- by 17-inch rimmed baking pan with cooking oil spray. Place vegetables in pan, cover tightly with foil, and bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until just tender when pierced, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine maple syrup, brown sugar, bourbon, butter, orange peel and juice, and cardamom.
- 3. Increase oven temperature to 450°. Remove foil from pan and sprinkle pecans over vegetables. Pour the syrup mixture over vegetables and pecans; turn pieces with a spatula to coat evenly.
- 4. Bake until syrup mixture thickens and sticks to vegetables, 25 to 35 minutes longer, turning pieces often to prevent scorching. Transfer candied vegetables to a serving dish. Season to taste with salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note