- 1 3/4 pounds Garnet or Jewel sweet potatoes (see notes)
- 1 3/4 pounds parsnips (see notes)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup bourbon or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon shredded orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- calories 348
- caloriesfromfat 20 %
- protein 3.3 g
- fat 7.7 g
- satfat 2.7 g
- carbohydrate 68 g
- fiber 8.7 g
- sodium 69 mg
- cholesterol 10 mg
How to Make It
Peel sweet potatoes and parsnips; cut into sticks about 1/2 inch by 3 to 4 inches. Lightly coat a 12- by 17-inch rimmed baking pan with cooking oil spray. Place vegetables in pan, cover tightly with foil, and bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until just tender when pierced, 35 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine maple syrup, brown sugar, bourbon, butter, orange peel and juice, and cardamom.
Increase oven temperature to 450°. Remove foil from pan and sprinkle pecans over vegetables. Pour the syrup mixture over vegetables and pecans; turn pieces with a spatula to coat evenly.
Bake until syrup mixture thickens and sticks to vegetables, 25 to 35 minutes longer, turning pieces often to prevent scorching. Transfer candied vegetables to a serving dish. Season to taste with salt.