I have been searching for a recipe for baked beans like my mother-in-law used to make, and this is the closest I've come yet. Flavorful, tender, and rich brown color. I make everything from scratch to be able to reduce the amount of salt in our diet and found this recipe very easy to make. I finished them by lowering the oven temperature to 200 degrees and baking them for another three hours instead of the 1 hour at 350 degrees. Delicious.
Bourbon Baked Beans
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 199
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 31.8g
- Fiber: 5.6g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 307mg
- Calcium: 66mg
- 1 pound dried navy beans (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 applewood-smoked bacon slices
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 5 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons bourbon, divided
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 3. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon to pan, and cook for 4 minutes or until crisp. Remove from pan, reserving 1 1/2 tablespoons drippings in pan; crumble bacon. Add onion to drippings in pan; cook for 5 minutes or until onion begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add beans, bacon, 4 cups water, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup bourbon, and next 3 ingredients (through pepper) to pan. Bring to a boil; cover and bake at 350° for 2 hours.
- 4. Stir in remaining 1 cup water, remaining 1/4 cup maple syrup, and remaining 2 tablespoons bourbon. Cover and bake 1 hour or until beans are tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Stir in vinegar and salt.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables