This was yummy. Made for Valentines day and the hubby and I both enjoyed it. I left out the celery, otherwise made as written. This was my first time having Bouillabaisse so not sure how it compares with other recipes. I would serve it to company. That being said not sure if I will make it again simply because of the cost of the ingredients and I can think of other dishes I would enjoy just as much.
The traditional seafood stew of Provence, a bouillabaisse is typically made with tomatoes, onions, wine, olive oil, garlic, herbs, fish and shellfish. Soak up the flavorful broth with olive bread or a crusty French baguette.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 332
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 48.2g
- Carbohydrate: 18.5g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 146mg
- Iron: 8.1mg
- Sodium: 701mg
- Calcium: 162mg
- 8 cups water
- 3 (1 1/4-pound) whole lobsters
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped carrot
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tomato (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound skinned halibut fillets or other lean white fish fillets, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 22 small clams, scrubbed (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 30 small mussels, scrubbed and debearded (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Bring water to a boil in an 8-quart stockpot. Plunge lobsters headfirst into water. Return to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 12 minutes. Remove lobsters from water (do not drain); cool. Remove meat from cooked lobster tails and claws; cut into 1-inch pieces, reserving shells. Cover and refrigerate lobster meat.
- Return reserved shells to water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain through a colander over a large bowl, reserving broth; discard shells. Wipe pan dry with a paper towel.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add reserved broth, tomato, salt, saffron, thyme, pepper, and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes; discard bay leaves. Bring to a boil; add halibut, reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. Add clams; cook 1 minute. Add mussels; cook 2 minutes. Add shrimp; cook 3 minutes. Bring to a boil. Add reserved lobster meat; cook until thoroughly heated. Discard unopened shells.
While 8 cups of water doesn't seem like much, it's enough to steam the lobsters. If clams are unavailable, substitute an equal amount of mussels.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This