I liked this soup although I did change it up a bit. I covered whole beets with water and boiled for at least 30 minutes. In a separate pan I rendered bacon, added onion and other ingredients but did not use leaves and stems. Instead of turnip, I used two potatoes, three carrots and after the veggies were soft, I used the immersion blender to emulsify the soup. When serving I stirred in some sour cream, another dollup on top with some fresh dill weed and crumbled bacon. Pretty tasty and beautiful color. Would make again.
Fresh ingredients abound in the recipe for Borscht. Finish your bowl of this delightful beet soup with a dollop of sour cream mixed with fresh dill.
More From Allyou
- Calories: 280
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 7g
- Protein: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Sodium: 1703mg
- 1 pound beets with leaves (about 2 large beets)
- 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 turnip, peeled, finely chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1. Wash beets and leaves well; pat dry. Break off leaves and separate them from the stalks. Cut leaves into fine shreds and chop stalks into small pieces. Peel beets and cut into thin strips.
- 2. Warm a large saucepan over medium-high heat; line a plate with paper towels. Cook bacon, stirring often, until browned and most of the fat has been rendered. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and let drain on the lined plate.
- 3. Reduce heat to medium, add beets, carrot, onion, celery and turnip to pan and cook, stirring often, until vegetables have softened, about 8 minutes. Add broth and vinegar, and bring to a boil over high heat; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and reserved beet leaves and stalks. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until all vegetables are very tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Mix dill into sour cream in a small bowl. Ladle soup into bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream mixture just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note