- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 beef-flavored bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (16-ounce) can sliced beets, drained
- Commercial sour cream
- Sauté onion in bacon drippings and butter in a small skillet until tender. (Do not brown.) Dissolve bouillon cubes and sugar in boiling water. Combine sautéed onion, bouillon mixture, and beets in container of an electric blender; process 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a heavy saucepan, and heat thoroughly. (Do not boil.) Ladle into individual soup bowls, and serve warm. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream. Borscht may also be served chilled.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note