Dried Cranberry beans are easy to find at Kroger and not too expensive. The fresh ones are awesome if you can find them. Publix used to carry them. Good soup!
Borlotti beans—the Italian variety of cranberry beans—can be ordered from www.ranchogordo.com, among other online retailers.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups soup and 1 tablespoon cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 14.9g
- Carbohydrate: 31.6g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 662mg
- Calcium: 199mg
- 1 1/4 cups dried borlotti beans (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped bacon (about 6 slices)
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot (about 2 carrots)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped zucchini (about 2 medium)
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Sort and wash beans; place in a large bowl. Cover with water to 2 inches above beans; cover and let stand 8 hours or overnight. Drain beans.
- 2. Place beans in a large saucepan, and cover with water to 3 inches above beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain.
- 3. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bacon to pan; cook 6 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (through garlic); sauté 4 minutes. Add zucchini; sauté 3 minutes. Add kale; sauté 2 minutes or until kale wilts. Add 3 cups water, tomato paste, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add beans; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper; sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews
Food & Wine