- 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups prechopped onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/3 cups hot water
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- calories 366
- fat 12.5 g
- satfat 3.8 g
- monofat 4.7 g
- polyfat 2.7 g
- protein 28.4 g
- carbohydrate 36.1 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 172 mg
- iron 5.9 mg
- sodium 660 mg
- calcium 115 mg
How to Make It
Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle shrimp with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan.
Reduce heat to medium; add remaining 3 teaspoons oil; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, curry powder, and next 3 ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add hot water and peas and carrots; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 4 minutes. Return shrimp to pan; cook 1 minute.
While curry cooks, bring milk to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and rice. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Place about 1/3 cup rice on each of 4 plates; top each serving with about 1 cup shrimp mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 3/4 teaspoon cilantro.
Sustainable Choice: Buy U.S. or Canadian wild-caught or farmed shrimp for the best sustainable option.