- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let yeast mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Stir together flour, shortening, and salt in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Add yeast mixture, and beat at medium speed with mixer, using dough hook attachment, 6 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 12 equal portions. Knead each portion 3 times. Shape each portion into a 6-inch log, and place on 2 lightly greased baking sheets (6 loaves per baking sheet).
- Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 40 minutes (dough will not double in bulk). Cut a shallow slit, lengthwise, in top of each loaf.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note