- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Stir together first 3 ingredients in a 2-cup liquid measuring cup; let yeast mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Stir together flour, shortening, and salt in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer. Add yeast mixture, and beat at medium speed with mixer, using dough hook attachment, 6 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 12 equal portions. Knead each portion 3 times. Shape each portion into a 6-inch log, and place on 2 lightly greased baking sheets (6 loaves per baking sheet).
- Cover dough, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 40 minutes (dough will not double in bulk). Cut a shallow slit, lengthwise, in top of each loaf.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets on wire racks.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads