- 1 pound baby bok choy
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 5 ounces small fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake, button, beech, or enoki (cut into clumps), rinsed, tough parts of stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing rice wine* or dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper
- calories 101
- caloriesfromfat 63 %
- protein 2.7 g
- fat 7.3 g
- satfat 0.9 g
- carbohydrate 6.4 g
- fiber 2 g
- sodium 345 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Trim bases of bok choy and separate outer leaves from stalks, leaving the smallest inner leaves attached. Rinse and thoroughly dry bok choy in a salad spinner.
Heat a wok or large frying pan (not nonstick) over medium-high heat until hot when you wave your hand over the bottom. Add vegetable oil, garlic, and ginger and stir once; then immediately add mushrooms and stir-fry until they just begin to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add rice wine and cook 30 seconds. Add bok choy leaves and stalks and cook, tossing with tongs, until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. The wok may seem crowded, but the leaves wilt quite a bit.
Add soy sauce, sesame oil, salt, and pepper; cook, tossing often, until bok choy is tender-crisp, another 1 to 1 1/2 minutes.
*Find at well-stocked grocery stores, Asian markets, and online. Recipe is vegetarian with vegan soy sauce.