- 1 (2 1/2-pound) corned beef brisket
- 5 carrots, scraped and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into thin slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups quick barley
How to Make It
Place brisket in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil and cover; reduce heat, and simmer for 3 hours or until brisket is tender. Remove brisket from pan, and strain broth.
Return brisket and strained broth to Dutch oven. Add next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil and cover; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Add barley; cook an additional 30 minutes.
Remove brisket to a serving platter; slice thinly across the grain. Drain vegetable and barley mixture, discarding bay leaf, and serve with brisket.