Bobotie (South African Meat Pie)
A fabulous South African version of meatloaf. Serve with rice and tangy cucumber relish
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 1 pound(s) uncooked lean ground beef
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s finely chopped
- 1 medium fresh apple(s), Granny Smith peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s finely chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) raisins
- 2 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1 clove(s) garlic minced
- spice mix
- 1 tablespoon(s) curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- Remaining Ingredients
- 1/4 cup(s) red wine; dry
- 3 tablespoon(s) mango chutney
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook meat until no longer pink, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain meat; set aside.
- In same skillet (do not wipe out pan), over medium-low heat, combine onion, apple, carrot, raisins and bay leaves; cook, stirring frequently until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and spice mix; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir meat into vegetable mixture; pour in wine and scrape bottom and sides of pan with a spoon to loosen any stuck pieces of food. Simmer mixture for 5 minutes; remove from heat. Remove bay leaves; stir in chutney. Spoon meat mixture into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly whisk together eggs and milk; pour over meat mixture, tilting pan to evenly cover top. Bake until egg layer is set, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before cutting into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dpygrl01 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Bobotie (South African Meat Pie) Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes