- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup uncooked regular oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
How to Make It
Pulse almonds 2 or 3 times in a blender or food processor until chopped. Add brown sugar and 1 tablespoon flour; process 5 seconds. Add butter; pulse 5 or 6 times or until mixture is crumbly. Stir in oats; set aside.
Combine 2 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
Whisk together buttermilk, oil, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
Toss blueberries with remaining 2 tablespoons flour; gently fold into batter. Spoon batter into greased muffin pans, filling two-thirds full; sprinkle batter with oat mixture.
Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove immediately from pans, and cool on wire racks.
Note: Freeze muffins up to 1 month.