I thought these were terrible. The recipe works fine, in the sense that following the instructions leads to very pretty muffins. I just thought they were relatively tasteless, and I found the addition of the cornmeal to create an unpleasant texture for a muffin. They might have been slightly better if the lemon zest had been excluded and the cinnamon had been added to the batter, but the texture was still a problem for me. I ate three bites and threw the entire batch away. I'm not sure I've EVER done that before.
Blueberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
Blue cornmeal contributes color, flavor, and texture to these delightful muffins. Feel free to use yellow or white cornmeal instead.
Yield: Makes 10 muffins.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground or sifted stone-ground blue, white, or yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine 1/4 cup sugar, 2 1/2 tablespoons flour, and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or fingertips until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Combine 1 1/4 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl until well blended; make a well in center of mixture. Combine egg, milk, and oil; add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Combine blueberries, 1 tablespoon flour, and 1 tablespoon sugar, tossing gently to coat. Fold blueberry mixture into batter. Spoon batter evenly into 10 (2 1/2-inch) muffin cups coated with cooking spray; sprinkle cinnamon mixture over batter. Bake muffins at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove from pans immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads