I made this salad to have for lunch. It made enough for two people to eat for three days. It's very healthy and filling. It's great to take to work for lunch. I used red kale which isn't as bitter or tough as regular kale. I found it at Publix and Earth Fare. Instead of wheat berries I used quinoa and it worked well. I love the healthy recipes that the Southern Living staff are incorporating into the magazine. :)
Blueberry-and-Kale Grain Salad
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 (8-oz.) package sugar snap peas
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale
- 1/2 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Bring wheat berries, salt, and 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook peas in boiling salted water to cover 2 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water; drain and pat dry. Slice in half. Drain wheat berries; rinse under cold water until cool.
- 3. Toss together kale, wheat berries, and 1/4 cup vinaigrette in a large bowl. Let stand 30 minutes. Stir in blueberries, pecans, and sugar snap peas. Add salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note