Very hearty breakfast bread! To lighten, I used egg substitute, almond milk and applesauce instead of oil.
Blueberry Banana Bread
From the kitchen of: Susan Emack Alison, copy chief. Here I am in my family's 1966 Christmas card photo. I'm flanked by my siblings (nice hairdo, Anne!), both fantastic cooks who, no doubt, are howling that their sister who burned the popcorn has a recipe in a national magazine. Loaded with fresh berries, oatmeal, and wheat germ, this healthy and simple bread received our Test Kitchen's highest rating! My children deliver warm loaves to neighbors every Christmas Eve.
Prep: 15 minutes; Stand: 5 minutes; Bake: 50 minutes.
- 2 large, ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 to 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Mash bananas with a fork in a large bowl. Stir in sugar and next 5 ingredients. Let stand 5 minutes or until oats soften.
- 2. Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl. Add to banana mixture alternately with oil, stirring just to incorporate. Fold in blueberries. Pour into a greased 9- x 5-inch loafpan, and bake 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note