My first attempt at an angel food cake with good result except that my berries, even tossed with flour, sank to the bottom but I will make again. (I have tremendous respect for my grandmother who was famous in her town for her angel food cakes and she didn't have even a hand mixer!)
Blueberry Angel Food Cake
Angel food cake, appropriately named, is a godsend when it comes to big family gatherings. Everyone likes it, almost no one is allergic to it, and it provides a light, sweet ending to what is too often a sloth-inducing meal. Fresh blueberries color the cake purple, and a citrusy glaze gives it a festive feeling.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 297
- Calories from fat: 1%
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 68.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 232mg
- Calcium: 8mg
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 12 large egg whites (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Sift together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup flour.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in. Fold in vanilla and blueberries.
- Combine 2 tablespoons flour and lemon rind; toss to coat. Sprinkle over egg white mixture; fold in.
- Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen the cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto plate.
- To prepare the glaze, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Blueberry Angel Food Cake Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts