I made this recipe when it first was published in Sunset Magazine and it was a hit! The Lavender whipped cream was INCREDIBLE! The waffles are quite filling and the blueberries help to lighten up the richness. I'm making it again this weekend for a birthday brunch and I CAN'T WAIT!
Blue Corn Waffles with Lavender Cream and Fresh Blueberries
Ngoc Minh Ngo
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 597
- Calories from fat: 53%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 62g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sodium: 660mg
- Cholesterol: 213mg
- 3/4 cup blue or yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Whisk in the eggs and buttermilk until well blended, then stir in the butter.
- 2. Cook in a waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Serve hot with lavender cream (recipe follows) and fresh blueberries.
- Lavender cream. Cook 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and a scant 1/4 teaspoon dried culinary lavender in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Cool completely, then strain. Stir in another 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 tablespoon sugar, then whip to soft peaks. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch