Yummy treat with a flavor similar to the cheddar cheese cracker squares sold in the red box :), BUT more elegant and flavorful. Chilling longer than an hour was better; the harder dough cuts more cleanly. These are wonderful warm from a plate or basket, but for a variation I served on a tray, topped with a small piece of turkey and a small dab of pepper relish. A tiny pear slice (with the relish) was even better. For ease I would certainly make again.
Blue Cheese-Walnut Wafers
Don't substitute margarine for butter in this recipe. The butter makes these wafers wonderfully short and the dough easier to handle.
Yield: 4 dozen
- 1 (4-ounce) package blue cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Process first 3 ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. (Mixture will be sticky.) Spoon mixture into a bowl; stir in walnuts. Cover and chill 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into an 8-inch log. Wrap in heavy-duty plastic wrap; chill 1 hour.
- Slice dough into 1/4-inch-thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Store in an airtight container up to a week.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers