- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup oil-packed dried tomatoes, drained and chopped (reserve oil)
- 3 tablespoons oil reserved from dried tomatoes, or olive oil
- 4 strips bacon (about 1 oz. total), cut in half lengthwise and crosswise
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Fresh-ground pepper
- 2 cups baby lettuce salad mix
- 12 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- calories 520
- caloriesfromfat 66 %
- protein 12 g
- fat 38 g
- satfat 9.5 g
- carbohydrate 34 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- sodium 1412 mg
- cholesterol 130 mg
How to Make It
In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add milk, egg yolks, dried tomatoes, and 2 tablespoons of the tomato oil; stir. In another large bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold whites into batter.
Turn a waffle iron to high heat. Lightly spray both sides with cooking oil spray. When hot, pour about half of the batter (or an amount suited to your waffle maker) onto the waffle iron. Lay 2 pieces of bacon over the batter. Close waffle iron and bake until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove waffles and keep warm on a baking sheet in a 200° oven. Repeat to cook remaining waffles.
In a large bowl whisk together the remaining 1 tablespoon tomato oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the baby lettuce and cherry tomatoes.
Top waffles with dressed salad.