- 6 artisan bread slices, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 thick applewood-smoked bacon slices, chopped
- 1 sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound assorted heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 (5-oz.) package arugula
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Drizzle bread with oil; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. each kosher salt and pepper. Bake bread in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan 12 minutes or until golden.
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels; reserve 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
Sauté onion in hot drippings over medium-low heat 3 to 5 minutes or until tender.
Smash garlic to make a paste. Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic paste, and remaining 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper.
Toss together tomatoes, arugula, bacon, onion, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Pour mayonnaise mixture over tomato mixture, and toss to coat. Serve immediately with toasted bread.