Great flavor and super easy. My daughter substituted parmesan cheese for the feta. My only small complaint is that it isn't that substantial for a meal. Needs more bacon - LoL, doesn't everything? Maybe a bread stick along side, though there were plenty of croutons. Cubed avocado would help. Hmmmm....will definitely make again. FWIW, using good quality red wine vinegar and olive oil is essential to this dish.
BLT Bread Salad
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Think of this hearty tossed salad as a deconstructed BLT sandwich, where the bread appears in the form of croutons. Round out the plate with fresh cantaloupe.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 2 cups)
Cost per Serving: $2.32
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Protein: 10.5g
- Carbohydrate: 37.6g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 26mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 788mg
- Calcium: 116mg
- 6 ounces French bread baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Cooking spray
- 4 slices hickory-smoked bacon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Layer bread on a baking sheet; coat with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until toasted.
- 3. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan. Cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir oil into bacon drippings in pan; remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, pepper, and salt.
- 4. Combine lettuce, tomatoes, and onions in a large bowl; drizzle with vinaigrette. Add bread; toss well to coat. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads